Ayurveda is the science of life or science of longevity. Ayurveda takes food as medicine. If you take a healthy diet, there is no need to take medicine. A healthy diet itself has healing power. In this article, we will understand Ayurvedic Healthy Diet for Weight Loss and Gain
So, what is a healthy diet? A healthy diet is one that helps to maintain your overall health. A healthy diet provides the body with essential nutrition. A healthy diet can protect the human body against certain types of diseases i.e., Obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. A healthy diet can also contribute to inadequate body weight and protect you from malnutrition. With the help of a healthy ayurvedic diet you can improve or lose your weight and the best part is that it determines your optimal weight not by the number on the weighing scale but by your body constitute i.e., Kapha, Pitta, Vatta. Ayurveda recommends “Balance” or an “Optimum” state in everything including your body weight.
Increase or decrease your weight slowly and gradually. According to Ayurveda the heaviest meal of the day should be lunch, your breakfast and dinner should be light.
Ayurvedic Healthy Diet for Weight Loss:
As in obese conditions, Kapha dosha will be increased and hence the person will be having symptoms like excessive weight, heaviness etc. So for reducing body weight, Kapha should be decreased by including the following methods in your daily diet.
• Begin your day with one glass of warm water.
• Drink ginger tea.
• Your breakfast should be light and filled with healthy protein.
• Include all the six tastes (madhur, amla, lavan, katu, tikta, kashaya) adequately.
• Avoid improper food combinations, avoid junk and over-processed food and stick to home-cooked food.
• Some herbal supplements like Triphala, Trikatu should be used according to your constitution.
Increase or decrease your weight slowly and gradually. According to
ayurveda most heavy meal of the day should be lunch, your breakfast and
dinner should be light.
Ayurvedic Healthy Diet to Improve Body Weight:
• Ghee has the ability to increase body tissue, appetite, and digestion.
• Milk is known as a muscle builder, weight gainer and a good source of calcium.
• Nuts and Nut Butters
• Potatoes and Starches
• Protein Supplement (only from Kitchen)
• Beans and legumes
• Dry Fruits and Seasonal Fruits
• Corns, Oats
• Add Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Raw Honey, Coconut, and Ghee to your daily meal.
• Two bananas after each meal for a few months
• Eat first heaviest food (Heavy for digestion) and finish with the lightest one.
Small quantities of spices such as cinnamon, garlic, ginger, cardamom, clove, and black pepper, (according to your constitution ) in your diet help in stimulating your appetite and are useful in both either in weight gain or weight loss.
Ayurvedic lifestyle management guides us gently towards successful weight management by giving us knowledge about three things…Right food to eat, Right lifestyle to follow and the right herbal supplement to use.